【VOA慢速】关于纸牌的习语

教育   2024-12-13 15:51   山东  


And now, Words and Their Stories, from VOA Learning English.

这里是VOA慢速英语《词汇与掌故》栏目。


Playing cards is a popular pastime for people of all ages.

打牌是各个年龄段的人都很流行的消遣方式。


Some games are easy, while others are complex.

有些游戏很简单,而另一些则很复杂。


And people of all walks of life play cards.

各行各业的人都打牌。


A set of playing cards is called a deck.

一套扑克牌称为一副牌。


A deck of cards is not costly and can be bought almost anywhere.

一副牌并不贵,几乎在任何地方都可以买到。


With one deck of 52 cards, you can play many different games.

一副牌有52张牌,可以玩许多不同的游戏。


Some of the games include poker, blackjack, bridge, rummy, 500, snap, hearts, and crazy eights … just to name a few.

仅举几个例子,可以玩的游戏有:扑克,二十一点,桥牌,拉米,五百分牌戏,snap,红心大战和疯狂八点……


The deck of cards also gives the English language many idioms.

这副扑克牌也给英语带来了许多习语。


Today we will talk about a few of them.

今天我们将谈论其中的几个。


To win at many card games, you must keep your cards hidden from the other players.

要在许多纸牌游戏中获胜,你必须将牌隐藏起来,不让其他玩家看到。


In many games, the cards you are dealt and play with are called your "hand."

在许多游戏中,你收到和玩的牌被称为你的“手牌”。


If your opponents know your hand, they can easily beat you.

如果你的对手了解你的牌,他们就可以轻松击败你。


Some players keep their cards hidden by holding them to their chest.

有些玩家通过将牌放在胸前来隐藏牌。


In life, you might need to keep some parts of a plan hidden or secret for them to succeed.

在生活中,你可能需要隐藏或保密计划的某些部分才能成功。


You might need to keep your cards close to your chest.

你可能需要将牌放在胸前(守口如瓶)。


This idiom means to keep your plans, intentions or methods secret.

这个习语的意思是对你的计划、意图或方法保密。


However, with most card games, players must show their cards to the other players at some point, sometimes at the end of the game.

然而,在大多数纸牌游戏中,玩家必须在某个时候(有时是在游戏结束时)向其他玩家出示他们的牌。


This gives us two similar idioms – to show your hand and to lay your cards on the table.

这给了我们两个类似的习语——亮出你的手牌,摊牌和把你的牌放在桌面上,摊牌。


As an idiom, to show your hand or your cards means to tell people your plans or intentions that you had kept hidden.

习语“to show your hand or your cards”的意思是告诉别人你一直隐藏的计划或意图。


The same is true of laying your cards on the table.

“laying your cards on the table”也是相同的含义。


In many card games, the players must show their cards by placing them face up on the table for everyone to see.

在许多纸牌游戏中,玩家必须将牌面朝上放在桌子上,让每个人都看到。


When we put our cards on the table, we show something that we have kept hidden.

当我们把牌放在桌面上时,我们展示了一些我们一直隐藏的东西。


These can be things like our reasons for doing something, our intentions or our opinions.

这些可以是我们做某事的原因,我们的意图或意见。


Now, in a game of cards, luck or chance plays an important part.

现在,在纸牌游戏中,运气或机会发挥着重要作用。


You must play with the cards you are dealt.

你必须玩发给你的牌。


This is the case in life, too.

生活中也是如此。


Not everything is a choice.

并非一切都是选择。


Sometimes we must deal with things that are out of our control.

有时我们必须处理超出我们控制范围的事情。


We must play with the cards we are dealt.

我们必须打发我们的牌。


We can also say play the hand we are dealt.

我们也可以说玩我们得到的牌。


So, luck is part of the game.

所以,运气是游戏的一部分。


We cannot know or predict the cards we are dealt.

我们无法知道或预测我们收到的牌。


But sometimes other players cheat.

但有时其他玩家会作弊。


They can do this by stacking the deck.

他们可以通过叠牌来做到这一点。


When you stack the deck, you add cards to the deck that will help you win.

当你叠牌的时候,你会往牌堆中添加能帮助你获胜的牌。


This gives you an unfair advantage.

这会给你带来不公平的优势。


In life, we can sometimes feel that things are stacked against us.

在生活中,我们有时会觉得事情对我们不利。


This means that no matter how hard we try, we still struggle.

这意味着,无论我们多么努力,我们仍然在挣扎。


We feel as though life has dealt us a bad hand, and we must struggle and fight to gain anything at all.

我们感到生活给了我们一张不好的牌,我们必须奋斗搏斗才能有所收获。


For example, if the deck is stacked against you, the odds are not in your favor.

例如,如果牌对你不利,那么你的胜算就不大。


You might have to struggle against all odds to succeed.

你可能必须克服一切困难才能成功。


These are just a few of the idioms English gets from a deck of cards.

这些只是英语从一副牌中得到的一些习语。


There are many more.

还有很多关于纸牌的习语。


But that's all the time we have today.

以上就是本期栏目的全部内容。


Keep listening to Words and Their Stories to learn more!

继续收听《词汇与掌故》栏目,了解更多!


Until next time, I'm Anna Matteo.

下期节目见,我是安娜·马特奥。



长按上方二维码,扫码下载 VOA慢速APP


爱语吧英语
领先的人工智能外语学习平台-爱语吧(1亿用户)官方公众号。每天推送热门的中英双语新闻,伴您学英语看视频知天下!还包括VOA慢速英语,VOA常速英语,TED英语演讲和CNN英语等官方双语内容,帮您轻松快乐学习英语!
 最新文章