在职场上常常需要用英文与同事或客户沟通,但英文不好,讲出来总是很卡顿,而说出错误的英文,就会造成别人误解,或者语意上的曲解,导致双方的关系恶化。当你与人交谈时,听不清楚或听不懂的反应,哪些会让对方感受到被冒犯,而造成失误呢?那我们又该怎么回应,一起来看看吧!
一、1分钟单词速记 Vocabulary
to come off as (phrs. v.) 显得
intonation (n.) 语调
rule of thumb (phrs.) 经验法则
rude (adj.) 失礼的;没礼貌的
stressed (adj.) 强调的
demand (n. / v.) 需求/坚决请求,强烈要求
intention (n.) 意图
sarcastic (adj.) 讽刺的
portray (v.) 描绘
二、语调的重要性The Importance of Intonation
When you’re still learning a new language, it’s hard to remember the importance of intonation when you’re already so busy thinking about the correct grammar, vocabulary, etc. However, intonation makes a big difference to the meaning of what you say in English, and sometimes, you might come off as being rude or sarcastic without even realizing it. The problem here is probably not what you say, but how you’re saying it.
在学习一门新语言的时候,当你已经忙于思考正确的语法,词汇等时,便很难记住语调的重要性。但是,不同的语调有时会让你想表达的与实际说出来的意思有巨大的差异喔,你很可能会无心的表现出失礼或讽刺语意。这里的问题很可能不是因为你说了什么,而是你怎么说的。
Here are some general rules of thumb to avoid those awkward miscommunications:
以下是一些避免那些尴尬的错误传达的经验法则:
1. Emphasize and stress keywords 强调并加重关键字
A common habit for English-learners is speaking in a flat tone, where everything is at the same pitch and unstressed, like a robot.
英语学习者的一个共同习惯,是以平坦的语气说话,常使用相同的音调和没有重音的状态,就像机器人一样。
2. Raise the tone 提高音调
Remember to raise your tone at the end of a ‘YES/NO’ question, when asking for a favor, and when making a request. Otherwise, it will sound like a demand.
记得在是非问题结束时拉高你的尾音,比如说在寻求帮助以及提出请求时。否则很容易听起来像是在命令别人。
3. Use the right pitch 使用正确的音高
Your voice and how you sound should match your words and intentions. This will make the biggest difference between being polite and impolite in many cases!
你的音量跟语调应该符合你的言语和意图。在许多情况下,这就是礼貌和不礼貌之间最大的区别!
三、范例 Examples
The same sentences can deliver different messages depending on your intonation. Below are a few examples (underlined = raised tone / stressed word):
根据您的语调,相同的句子可以传递不同的信息。以下是一些范例(粗体 = 扬起的音调/强调):
Are you okay? → shows real emotions and concern表现出真实的情感和关注
Are you okay? → sounds insincere and emotionless听起来虚伪无情
Do you understand? → shows doubt and patience表示疑虑和耐心
Do you understand? → the flat tone used here may come off as being impatient这里使用的扁平音调可能会变得不耐烦
Understanding how intonation works is also crucial for other types of sentences. The words you choose to stress and emphasize can portray very different meanings.
对于其他类型的句子来说,理解语调如何起作用也相当重要。你选择加重和强调的词语可以描绘出截然不同的含义。
She’s not his girlfriend. → this is stressing that the ‘she’ in our sentence is not the girlfriend, but ‘someone else’ is这是强调我们句子中的’她’不是女朋友,而是其他人
She’s not his girlfriend. → they probably just broke up and she is definitely not his girlfriend (anymore)他们可能刚分手,她绝对不是他的女朋友(了)
She’s not his girlfriend. → she’s not his girlfriend, but she is ‘someone else’s’ girlfriend她不是他的女朋友,但她是别人的女朋友
She’s not his girlfriend. → she is not his girlfriend, but maybe his sister?她不是他的女朋友,也许是他的姐姐或妹妹?
Even native speakers misuse their pitch and stress sometimes so it’s okay to make mistakes. However, you need to try as much as you can to remember and practice your intonation so people will understand what you really mean. Do you have any questions?
即使是母语人士有时也会用错他们的音调和语气,所以犯错是没关系的。然而,你还是需要尽可能多尝试并练习语调,这样大家才会了解你真的想表达的意思。请问有什么问题吗?