2岁北极看熊,4岁南极看企鹅,这对中国家长160天花60万,只为让孩子亲身感受···

学术   2024-10-23 18:34   河北  


hello大家好!马云在澳大利亚的捐赠演讲上曾说:“这个世界太有趣了,太独特了,你需要自己去体验。”老极对此深信不疑,儿子辛巴刚一岁半,还喜欢趴在爸妈怀里撒娇的时候,他们一家三口的旅行便开始了。


随着他一天天长大,老极带辛巴到户外见识世界的时间也越来越长。两岁半的时候,巴随口说想看北极熊,老极二话不说,准备妥当之后就带儿子去了北极。


这一趟北极之旅,整整185天,穿行12个国家,辛巴不但看到了北极熊,还遇见了驯鹿和北极光。


当然与绝美风景相伴的,还有各种意想不到的险境,但这根本就没将小家伙拦住,反而旅行上瘾的一家人,2016年11月2号,又踏上了南美到南极的旅程。

辛巴在一段段的旅程中感知大自然和世间万物,学会了越来越多的词语,这些不是抽象简单的词语,而已然成为了他生命中最鲜活的东西,像大象、北极光或者热气球。

这些词有生命,他有过切身感受、亲自体验和真实触碰。

想要征战南极的人现在越来越多了,极限跑者雷赞哈布也在TED舞台上分享他徒步远征打破南极步行纪录的激情体验——一个穿越暴雪的33天冲刺,下面我们一起来看看。

演讲者:雷赞哈布
演讲题目:My trek to the South Pole


A month ago today I stood there: 90 degrees south, the top of the bottom of the world, the Geographic South Pole.
一个月前的今天我在这那里,南纬90度,在世界底部的顶端,地理位置上的南极之端。

And I stood there beside two very good friends of mine, Richard Weber and Kevin Vallely.
和我一起的还有我两个最好的朋友,理查德韦伯和凯文维勒利。

Together we had just broken the world speed record for a trek to the South Pole.
我们一起打破了徒步穿越南极的世界最快纪录。

It took us 33 days, 23 hours and 55 minutes to get there.
我们用时33天,23个小时55分钟到达那里。

We shaved five days off the previous best time.
比上次最快纪录提前了5天。

And in the process, I became the first person in history to make the entire 650-mile journey, from Hercules Inlet to South Pole, solely on feet, without skis.
在这个过程中,我成为历史上第一个完成整个六百五十英里旅程的人,从大力士站到南极,徒步,不用雪橇。


Now, many of you are probably saying, "Wait a sec, is this tough to do?"
现在,你们中的很多人大概会问,"等等,这很难吗?"

Imagine, if you will, dragging a sled, as you just saw in that video clip, with 170 pounds of gear,
想像一下,如果你将要像视频里的那样,拖动一个┣粒厦嬗兄卮�170磅的行李,

in it everything you need to survive on your Antarctic trek.
里面装的是你在南极苦旅重所需的所有工具。

It's going to be 40 below, every single day.
每一天,气温都会在零下40度。

You'll be in a massive headwind.
你将迎风前进。

And at some point you're going to have to cross these cracks in the ice, these crevasses.
有些时候你还必须去越过这些冰上的裂缝,这些裂缝。

Some of them have a very precarious thin footbridge underneath them that could give way at a moment's notice, taking your sled, you, into the abyss,
有些裂缝的下面就是岌岌可危的薄天桥,这些可能会在一瞬间坍塌,把你的雪橇和你拖入深渊,

never to be seen again.
再也不会被人看到。

The punchline to your journey?
这个旅途的重点是什么?

Look at the horizon.
看看地平线。

Yes, it's uphill the entire way, because the South Pole is at 10,000 feet, and you're starting at sea level.
没错,整个就是一次艰难的旅行,因为南极位于10000英尺的地方,而你要从海平面出发。

Our journey did not, in fact, begin at Hercules Inlet, where frozen ocean meets the land of Antarctica.
实际上我们的旅途不是从大力士站开始的,在从冻海和南极土地接壤的地方。

It began a little less than two years ago.
大概就在不到两年之前。

A couple of buddies of mine and I had finished a 111-day run across the entire Sahara desert.
我和我的一群伙伴刚跑完了为时111天的撒哈拉大沙漠穿越。

And while we were there we learned the seriousness of the water crisis in Northern Africa.
在那里我们体会到了北非严重的水危机。

We also learned that many of the issues facing the people of Northern Africa affected young people the most.
我们也学到了北非人民所要面对的众多问题,尤其是年轻人所遇到的。

I came home to my wife after 111 days of running in the sand, and I said, "You know, there's no doubt if this bozo can get across the desert,
当我完成了111天的沙漠慢跑回到家中,回到我妻子的身边,我说道,"你知道,毫无疑问,如果这个傻瓜民族可以跨越沙漠,

we are capable of doing anything we set our minds to."
我们就可以干我们想干的任何事情。"

But if I'm going to continue doing these adventures, there has to be a reason for me to do them beyond just getting there.
但是如果我要继续这些冒险,就必须要有坚持下去的动力而不仅仅只是到达那里。

Around that time I met an extraordinary human being, Peter Thum, who inspired me with his actions.
那时侯我遇到了一个了不起的人,彼得·图姆,就是他用他的行为启发了我。

He's trying to find and solve water issues, the crisis around the world.
他正在试图找到解决全球水危机的方法。

His dedication inspired me to come up with this expedition: a run to the South Pole where, with an interactive website,
他的奉献和投入启发了我的这次远征:去南极漫步,在那里有一个互动网站,

I will be able to bring young people, students and teachers from around the world on board the expedition with me, as active members.
我将和全世界的年轻人,学生和老师一起出发,大家都是这次活动的成员。

So we would have a live website, that every single day of the 33 days, we would be blogging, telling stories of, you know,
所以我们将会有一个互动的有趣的网站,在33天中的每一天里,我们会写博客,讲一些故事,你知道的,

depleted ozone forcing us to cover our faces, or we will burn.
耗竭的臭氧层,使我们被迫遮盖住我们的脸,要不然我们就会像被点燃一般。

Crossing miles and miles of sastrugi -- frozen ice snowdrifts that could be hip-deep.
穿过一里又一里的冰脊——穿过半身深的冰冷冰山。



I'm telling you, crossing these things with 170-pound sled, that sled may as well have weighed 1,700 pounds, because that's what it felt like.
我来告诉你吧,带着170磅的雪橇穿越这些地理环境,就像带着1700磅的雪橇一样,因为我们感觉他们就像那样一般重。

We were blogging to this live website daily to these students that were tracking us as well, about 10-hour trekking days, 15-hour trekking days,
我们每天通过网站写博客写给那些在关注我们的学生,每天10个小时、15个小时的苦行,

sometimes 20 hours of trekking daily to meet our goal.
有时候为了达到目标我们必须坚持20个小时。

We'd catch cat-naps at 40 below on our sled, incidentally.
顺便说一句,我们也会在零下49度的环境下在我们的雪橇里打个盹。

In turn, students, people from around the world, would ask us questions.
学生们、全世界的人,都会问我们一些问题。

Young people would ask the most amazing questions.
年轻人会问到一些最奇妙的问题。

One of my favorite: It's 40 below, you've got to go to the bathroom, where are you going to go and how are you going to do it?
我最喜欢的一个是:在零下40度里,你必须去上厕所,你会去哪,以及你怎样去解决?

I'm not going to answer that.
我不会在这回答。

But I will answer some of the more popular questions.
但是我会回答一些更多被提及的问题。

Where do you sleep?
我们在哪睡觉?

We slept in a tent that was very low to the ground, because the winds on Antarctica were so extreme, it would blow anything else away.
我们在一个十分靠近地面的帐篷里睡觉,因为南极的风是如此之大,会把所有其他的东西都刮走。

What do you eat?
我们吃什么?

One of my favorite dishes on expedition: butter and bacon.
这是我远征的招牌菜之一,黄油加熏肉。

It's about a million calories.
它大约有一百万卡路里。

We were burning about 8,500 a day, so we needed it.
我们每天要消耗掉8500卡路里,所以我们需要它。

How many batteries do you carry for all the equipment that you have?
你们要为所有的设备带上多少个电池?

Virtually none.
实际上没有。

All of our equipment, including film equipment, was charged by the sun.
所有的设备,包括录像器材,都是靠太阳提供能量。

And do you get along?
还有你们相处的好吗?

I certainly hope so, because at some point or another on this expedition, one of your teammates is going to have to take a very big needle,
我当然希望是这样,因为在这次的远征里,我们必须时不时的拿一个巨大的针头,

and put it in an infected blister, and drain it for you.
刺进队友感染的水泡里,然后把积水抽出来。

But seriously, seriously, we did get along, because we had a common goal of wanting to inspire these young people.
但说真的,说真的,我们确实相处得很好,因为我们有一个共同的目标,想要激励这些年轻人。

They were our teammates!
他们就是我们的队友!

They were inspiring us.
他们也在启发着我们。

The stories we were hearing got us to the South Pole.
我们所听到的故事支持着我们到达了南极。

The website worked brilliantly as a two-way street of communication.
网站双向沟通运作的十分不错。

Young people in northern Canada, kids in an elementary school, dragging sleds across the school-yard, pretending they were Richard, Ray and Kevin.
南加拿大的小学学生,拽着雪橇通过校园,假装着他们是理查德,雷和凯文。

Amazing.
真是美妙。

We arrived at the South Pole.
我们到达了南极。

We huddled into that tent, 45 below that day, I'll never forget it.
我们挤在那顶帐篷里,那天的温度低于45度,我永远也忘不了。

We looked at each other with these looks of disbelief at what we had just completed.
我们看着对方的脸上都显现出难以置信,我们竟然已经做到了的表情。

And I remember looking at the guys thinking, "What do I take from this journey?"
然后我记得我当时看了看他们,想,“我从这段旅程中学到了什么?”

You know?
你知道?

Seriously.
说真的。

That I'm this uber-endurance guy?
我是个耐力超强的人?

As I stand here today talking to you guys, I've been running for the grand sum of five years.
当我今天站在这里与你们交谈时,我已经奔跑了整整五年。

And a year before that I was a pack-a-day smoker, living a very sedentary lifestyle.
在这几年前,我每天抽一包烟,过着亚健康的生活。

What I take from this journey, from my journeys, is that, in fact, within every fiber of my belief standing here,
我从这段旅程,从我的旅程中学到的,那就是,我和我每一个信念共同站在这,

I know that we can make the impossible possible.
我知道我们可以让不可能成为可能。

I'm learning this at 40.
我在40岁的时候学会了这一点。

Can you imagine?
你能想象吗?

Seriously, can you imagine?
说真的,你能想象吗?

I'm learning this at 40 years of age.
我在40岁的时候学会了这一点。

Imagine being 13 years old, hearing those words, and believing it.
想像下一个13岁的孩子,听到这些话,然后相信它们。

Thank you very much.
非常感谢。

Thank you.
谢谢。

Remark:一切权益归TED所有,更多TED相关信息可至官网www.ted.com查询!


翻译爱好者联盟
这里有:最全的CATTI真题库、考试经验分享、丰富的精品翻译练习材料、电子资源打包下载、精彩的原创学习栏目、好玩有趣的线上练习活动、专业的超值口译培训等。爱翻译,学翻译,加入我们的联盟吧!~
 最新文章