如何像哲学家一样思考?激发一种对知识极致浪漫的爱欲

文摘   教育   2024-09-02 09:15   美国  

        哲学是一门危险的学问。涉世未深的人接触支离破碎的哲学,往往教条地吸收。那些哲学名词或只言片语,似乎有一股召唤师的魔力。它会击碎已有的观念和信仰体系,不经意间,虚无无情潜入。然而,另一种学习哲学的方式,更像是一种对话。它会让你提出众多有趣的问题,让你发现自己思考时先入为主的假设,让你对确信之事产生合理怀疑,让你对异见保持开放。哲学的学习,需要开广角,接触众多哲学家,从思想史的开端顺流而下,目睹观念之间的分歧、弥合与杀戮,形成自己判断的尺子,甚至是测量尺子的尺子。这种学习方式,最终目的是形成自己的思维工具箱,而不是几个固定的体系。更确切地说,它不会让你学习某种哲学,而是让你学会用哲学思考。


        今天向老师带大家走进一位老朋友,哲学家Cornel West的精神世界,感受他身上那种极致的蓝调哲学的浪漫。我开的西方哲学英文课,参考:

1. 西方哲学最强种草:《苏菲的世界》英文原版导师制

2. 一张不太长的书单,导读37本英文哲学原著


视频双语文字稿


see, I’m a bluesman in the life of the mind,

我是心灵生活中的蓝调歌手

I’m a jazzman in the world of ideas.

我是思想世界中的爵士音乐家

Therefore, for me music is central,

音乐是我的核心

so when you’re talking about poetry,

当我们谈及诗歌时

for the most part Plato’s talking primarily about words,

柏拉图在大多数情况下主要论及遣词造句

where I talk about notes, I talk about tone, I talk about timbre, I talk about rhythms.

我关注的是音调、音色与节奏

See, for me music is fundamental;

音乐是我的根本

philosophy must go to school not only with the poets,  philosophy needs to go to school with the musicians.

深耕哲学,不仅要向诗人学习,还要向音乐家学习

《理想国》又译作《国家篇》、《共和国》、《王制》,是古希腊哲学家柏拉图在大约公元前390年所写成的作品, 主要谈及了正义、秩序和正义的人及城邦所扮演的角色。

Keep in mind Plato bans the flute in The Republic but not the lyre.

要记得,柏拉图在《理想国》中禁止了长笛,但没有禁止里拉琴

Why? Because the flute appeals to all of the various dimensions of who we are,

为什么?因为笛子能够吸引人的不同维度——

柏拉图提出了著名的灵魂三重结构论。他认为,所有灵魂都是由两匹飞马和一个御车夫构成的组合体。载着诸神灵魂的车马平衡排列,可以不费力地进到天外,观照存在。而构成其它灵魂的二马却一匹驯良,一匹顽劣。

given his tripartite conception of the soul – the rational, and the spirited, and the appetitive.

鉴于柏拉图“灵魂三重结构论”——理性、精神与欲望

The flute appeals to all three of those,

长笛对这三重灵魂都有吸引力,

whereas he thinks the lyre, with one string only, appeals to one and therefore it’s permissible.

而柏拉图认为,只有一根弦的里拉琴,只会吸引其中一重维度,因此是被允许的

Now, of course the irony of Plato was that on his deathbed, what did he do?

当然,讽刺之处在于,柏拉图临终之时,他做了什么?

Well, he requested the Thracian girl play music on the flute.

他要求色雷斯女子用长笛演奏音乐

色雷斯(希腊语:Θρᾴκη,保加利亚语:Тракия,土耳其语:Trakya)是东南欧的历史学和地理学上的概念。今天的色雷斯包括了保加利亚南部(北色雷斯)、希腊北部(西色雷斯)和土耳其的欧洲部分(东色雷斯)。

I’m a Christian, but I’m not a puritan. I believe in pleasure

我是基督徒,但我并非清教徒,我相信享乐

and orgiastic pleasure has its place, intellectual pleasure has its place,  social pleasure has its place,

狂欢的、智性的、社交方面的享乐都应有其地位

televisual pleasure has its place. I like certain TV shows.

看电视也可以乐在其中——我还蛮喜欢一些电视节目的

My God, when it comes to music, Beethoven’s great string quartet, Opus 131 –

我的天,说到音乐,贝多芬伟大的弦乐四重奏:Opus131

unbelievable aesthetic pleasure.

这份审美享乐简直难以置信

The same goes for Curtis Mayfield, the Beatles, or what have you

柯蒂斯·梅菲尔德、披头士或其他乐队也是如此

柯提斯·李·梅菲尔德:美国创作歌手、吉他手和唱片制作人,灵魂乐和政治意识背后最有影响力的非裔美国人音乐家之一。他在1950年代末和1960年代的民权运动中作为印象合唱团成员首次获得成功和认可,随后单飞开始了个人生涯。

there’s a certain pleasure of the life of the mind that cannot be denied.

精神生活中有一种不可否认的乐趣

it’s true that you might be socially isolated because you’re in the library, at home and so on,

的确,因为你宅在图书馆或者在家里,你可能会在社交上被孤立

but you’re intensely alive.

但你依然可以充满活力

In fact you’re much more alive than these folk walking the streets of New York in crowds,

其实,你远比这些走在纽约大街上的人更有活力

with no intellectual interrogation and questioning going at all.

因为他们没有受到那些智识的拷问和质询

约翰·罗斯金:英国维多利亚时代主要的艺术评论家之一,也是英国艺术与工艺美术运动的发起人之一 马克·吐温:原名塞姆·朗赫恩·克莱门斯,是美国的幽默大师、小说家、作家,亦是著名演说家 赫尔曼·梅尔维尔:美国小说家、散文家和诗人,也担任过水手、教师,最著名的作品是《白鲸记》

But if you read John Ruskin, or you read Mark Twain, or, my God, Herman Melville,

但是如果你读过约翰·罗斯金、马克·吐温或赫尔曼·梅尔维尔

you almost have to throw the book against the wall

你几乎得把书扔到墙上,

because you’re almost so intensely alive that you need a break!

因为你不能总是如此热烈地活着——你需要休息!

It’s time to take a break, get a little dullness in your life,

你得休息一下,让你的生活“沉闷”一点

 《白鲸记》为赫尔曼·梅尔维尔发表于1851年的小说 讲述了一名40多岁的中年人在捕猎白色抹香鲸时所产生的的各种事件和心理活动,对捕鲸和提取鲸油有着极度详细的描述, 主角作为一个有着多元文化背景的船员,他于船上生活期间竟然能领悟出对阶级、歧视、社会地位、善恶和上帝是否存在的探索 被认为是美国最伟大的长篇小说之一。

take Moby-Dick and throw it against the wall

拿起《白鲸记》,把它扔到墙上,

the way Goethe threw von Kleist’s work against the wall.

就像歌德把冯克莱斯特的作品往墙上扔一样

海因里希·冯·克莱斯特:德国剧作家,富有创造力的现实主义诗人。早年从军,后厌烦军旅生活而辞去军职。一生落魄凄惨,深为未受赏而痛苦,终以自杀了结。其作品简洁明了,风格多变,表现了理想与现实间的矛盾冲突。

It was just too much.

不然你的生活可太热烈了

It reminded Goethe of the darkness that he was escaping  after he overcame those suicidal impulses with Sorrows of Young Werther in the 1770s

这让歌德想起了他在18世纪70年代用 《少年维特之烦恼》克服自杀冲动后逃离的黑暗

《少年维特之烦恼》是德国作家歌德创作的中篇小说。小说描写进步青年对当时鄙陋的德国社会的体验和感受,表现了作者对封建道德等级观念的反应以及对个性解放的强烈要求:少年维特爱上了一个名叫绿蒂的姑娘,而姑娘已同别人订婚。爱情上的挫折使维特悲痛欲绝。之后,维特又因同封建社会格格不入,感到前途无望而自杀。它是歌德作品中被他的同时代人阅读得最多的一本。

that made him move towards neoclassicism in Weimar.

这种冲动促使他在魏玛这个城市转向新古典主义

There are certain things that make us almost too alive:

有些事情让我们总能热烈地活着:

it’s almost like being too intensely in love – you can’t do anything.

那种感觉就像陷入强烈的爱情——你什么都做不了了

It’s hard to get back to chronos, it’s hard to get back to everyday life, you know what I mean?

你很难回到日常生活中、回到现实——懂吗?

Kairotic:古希腊修辞学概念,描述在现实主义和建构主义的修辞学情境中及时的反应或修辞学机会。

The kairotic dimension of being in love with another person –

爱上另一个人的那种美妙维度——

Everything is so meaningful you want to sustain it.

一切都充满了意义,你因此想永远维持这样

You just can’t do it, you know? You’ve got to go to the bathroom, have a drink of water!

什么其他的都做不了,对吧?你得去趟洗手间,或者喝点水!

Romanticism, thoroughly saturated the discourse of modern thinkers.

浪漫主义彻底浸透了现代思想家的话语

Can you totalize? Can you make things whole? Can you create harmony?

你能让事情变得完整吗?你能创造和谐吗?

If you can’t: disappointment.

如果不能,就只有失望

Disappointment is always at the center, failure is always at the center.

失望有之,失败有之

Well, where does Romanticism come from? Why begin with Romanticism?

那么,浪漫主义是从哪里来的呢?为什么要从浪漫主义开始呢?

You see, I don’t begin with Romanticism,

你看,我不是从浪漫主义开始的,

Remember what Beethoven said on his deathbed?

还记得贝多芬临终时说了什么吗?

He said, “I learned to look at the world in all of its darkness and evil and still love it.”

他说:在黑暗与邪恶之中,我仍深爱这个世界

And that’s not Romantic Beethoven.

这不是浪漫主义的贝多芬

This is the Beethoven of the string quartets, the 131, the greatest string quartet ever written—

这是131四重奏中的贝多芬,有史以来最伟大的弦乐四重奏中的贝多芬

Just in classical music, but of course, it's in European forms. Beethoven is a grandmaster.

在古典音乐中(当然,欧洲古典音乐),贝多芬是当之无愧的大师

But the string quartets, you go back to those movements,

但是弦乐四重奏——回到那些乐章

there’s no Romantic wholeness to be shattered as in early Beethoven.

在贝多芬早期,并没有什么浪漫主义的整体性被打破

He’s given up on that, you see.

你看,贝多芬后来就放弃了浪漫主义

安东·帕夫洛维奇·契诃夫:19世纪末俄国的世界级短篇小说巨匠、作家,其剧作也对20世纪戏剧产生了很大的影响。他坚持现实主义传统,也继承了批判现实主义的特性。注重描写俄国中等阶层人民的平凡生活,塑造具有典型性格的小人物, 借此忠实反映出当时俄国社会反动统治阶级的残暴现况,抨击了沙皇的专制制度。

This is where Chekhov begins, this is where the blues starts, this is where jazz starts.

契诃夫从这里开始,蓝调从这里开始,爵士从这里开始

查利·帕克:美国黑人爵士乐手,外号“大鸟”,  因不断奔波演奏,毒瘾与酗酒,再加上家庭生活的沉重压力引发精神崩溃于1955年3月12日逝世,年仅34岁。

You think Charles Parker’s upset because he can’t sustain a harmony?

你觉得查尔斯·帕克的悲伤源于他无法维持和谐吗?

He doesn’t care about the harmony:

他根本不关心那些

he’s trying to completely ride on dissonance, ride on the blue notes.

他试图驾驭的是不和谐,是蓝调布鲁斯

Of course he’s got harmony in terms of his interventions here and there,

当然,他最终从其中得到了和谐

but why start with this obsession with wholeness?

但为什么从这种对整体性的痴迷开始呢?

And if you can’t have it,  you’re disappointed and want to have a drink, melancholia, blah blah blah.

如果无法拥有的话,你会失望、忧郁,想喝一杯,等等

No, you see, the blues, my kind of blues, begins with catastrophe,

瞧,我的蓝调是从灾难开始起笔的

begins with the angel of history in Benjamin’s Theses on (the Philosophy of History).

始于本雅明的《关于历史概念的论文》中的历史天使

“关于历史哲学的论文”或“关于历史概念的论文”是德国哲学家兼评论家瓦尔特·本雅明于1940年初写的一篇论文。这是本雅明最著名,最有争议的作品之一。这篇简短的文章由二十个编号的段落组成,是本杰明试图逃离维希法国之前撰写的, 当时法国通敌政府官员将本杰明等犹太难民移交给了纳粹盖世太保。

It begins with the pillage, the wreckage, of one pile on another. That’s the starting point.

始于一桩接着一桩的掠夺与残骸——这才是起点

The blues is a personal catastrophe lyrically expressed.

蓝调是以抒情方式表达的灾难

And for black people in America and in the modern world,  given these vicious legacies of white supremacy, it is:

对于美国和现代世界的黑人来说, 考虑到白人至上主义的这些邪恶遗产,它的起点是:

How do you generate an elegance of earned self-togetherness

你如何在来之不易的团结中创造优雅

so that you have a stick-to-it-iveness in the face of the catastrophic and the calamitous  and the horrendous and the scandalous, the monstrous?

才能让你在面对灾难、可怕、丑闻和残酷时坚持下去?

See, part of the problem is that when you have a Romantic project,

你看,问题在于,当你有一个浪漫的计划时

you’re so obsessed with time as loss and time as a taker,

你会沉迷于时间对你的偷窃,时间作为一去不复返的损失

whereas as a Chekhovian Christian, I want to stress as well time as a gift, time as a giver.

而作为一个契诃夫式的基督徒,我想强调的是,时间是礼物、是给予者

So that, yes, it’s failure, but how good a failure? It’s done some wonderful things.

所以,是的,你会失败,但这种失败多么可贵!

And Beckett can say,“Try again, fail again, fail better”

如贝克特所言,“再试一次,再失败一次,然后失败地更漂亮”

but why call it failure?

但为什么称之为失败呢?

why not say you have a sense of gratitude that you’re able to do as much as you did?

我的意思是,为什么不为你做能做的所有而感激呢?

That you’re able to love as much and think as much and play as much?

你可以尽情地爱、尽情思考、尽情玩耍,享受其中就好了

Why think you need the whole thing?

为什么要对“完满”有那么深的执念呢?

This is even disturbing about America.

这甚至让美国感到不安

Of course America is a romantic project.

当然,美国也是我们所提到的“浪漫的项目”

The paradisial city and all the other mess and lies and so on.

天堂般的城市,也有所有其他的混乱和谎言

I say no, no, America’s a very fragile, democratic experiment

我说,不,不,美国是一个非常脆弱的民主实验

predicated on the disposition of the lands of indigenous people  and the enslavement of African people

其建立在对土著人民土地的掠夺、对非洲人民的奴役

and the subjugation of workers and women and the marginalization of gays and lesbians.

对工人和妇女的征服,以及对同性恋者的边缘化之上

It has great potential, but this notion that somehow we had it all or ever will have it all—

它有很大的潜力,但是那种“我们曾经拥有一切”或者“将来会拥有一切”的想法

that’s got to go, you’ve got to push it to the side.

必须被抛弃,你必须把它推到一边

And once you push all that to the side,

一旦你把这些都推到一边,

then it tends to evacuate the language of disappointment and the language of failure.

失望和失败自然也不复存在

And you say, OK, how much have we done? How have we been able to do it? Can we do more?

你会说,好吧,我们做了多少?我们是怎么做到的?我们还能做得更多吗?

In some situations you can’t do more.

在某些情况下,你确实无法做更多

It’s like trying to break-dance at seventy-five,

这就像在75岁的时候跳霹雳舞一样——

you can’t do it anymore! You were a master at sixteen; it’s over!

你在16岁时跳的很好,但16岁已经一去不返了!

The way you can’t make love at eighty the way you did at twenty—

八十岁的你不再能像二十岁时那样做爱——

so what? Time is real!

那又怎样?时间是真实的!

One question that keeps coming up is the phrase “a meaningful life.”

我一直在思考的一个主题是“有意义的生活”

Do you think it is philosophy’s duty to speak on this?

你认为哲学有责任讨论这个问题吗?

How to live a meaningful life?

如何才能活出生命的意义?

is that even an appropriate question for a philosopher?

或者,甚至说,这问题问哲学家合适吗?

I think it is. I think the problem with meaning is very important.

我想是的,我认为“意义问题”非常重要

Nihilism is a serious challenge, meaninglessness is a serious challenge.

“虚无主义”是一个严峻的挑战,“无意义”也是

Even making sense of meaninglessness in itself is a kind of discipline and achievement.

甚至理解“无意义”本身也是一种学科和成就

The problem is, of course, you never really reach it.

当然,问题是,你永远无法真正寻到意义

It’s not a static, stationary telos or end or aim.

它不是一个静态的、固定的目标或终点

It’s a process that one never reaches; it’s Sisyphean.

这是一个永远无法抵达的过程,是西西弗斯式的

You’re going up the hill,  looking for better meanings or grander, more ennobling, enabling meanings,

你在推石头上山,寻找更好、更宏伟、更高尚的意义

but you never reach it.

但你永远不会抵达彼岸

In that sense,  you die without being able to have the whole in the language of Romantic discourse.

从这个意义上,即使在临终时,我们也无法拥有浪漫主义话语中的“完满”

我就在街角处下车

谢谢搭我一程,保重!



向老师课程推荐(按文末步骤测词并提供基本信息,在有意向的课程文章留言区咨询):
1. 托福词汇8000导师精品课:“阅读自由”的关键步骤
2. 高中词汇3500-英文原版导读
3. Zero to Hero英文原版书单
4. 给思辨爱好者设计的“英文哲学启蒙课”

历届学员反馈:

1. 被精神疾患和教育工厂双重折磨的中国学子,如何飞跃疯人院?

2. 46岁学英文并不晚,我比年轻人更享受过程、更有松弛感【学员投稿】

3. 高中3500-托福8000词汇 | 一站式解决方案





教师简介



        向杨,芝加哥大学社会学博士在读。四川大学生物技术基地班本科,芝加哥大学政治学与社会学硕士。“羊说”公众号创办人,专访众多政治、社会、文化界领袖。十三年持续从事英语教学和管理。

  • 2010年外研社演讲大赛全国季军;

  • 2009年中央电视台希望之星风采大赛四川省冠军;

  • 屡次在国际英国议会制辩论赛获奖;

  • 人事部口、笔译二级(CATTI);






羊说
英语作为一种领导力!「向杨Alan君」在「羊说」分享与世界领袖对话,英语学习方法,自我成长方案
 最新文章